Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Dog Meat Dilemma







What is Philippine House Bill 2991?







ADOPT A PET








Please support the Philippine Animal Welfare Society in this campaign.







Within the quiet, remote village in Quezon City, many children can be seen playing happily on the streets, calling out "Ate!" (meaning, "Big sister!" ) when I pass by on my way to school, work, or another destination in my everyday agenda. Birds can be seen flying about, perching on branches or pecking on the asphalt roads looking for a live snack, and



I remember when I was a little girl, my father used to have drinking sessions with his friends. Part of my flashbulb memories included that time when I came over to their table, curious about their conversation. I was carrying my puppy and its restless tail would sometimes hit my elbow.



My father told his friends how much I love animals, but then I overheard one of the older guys whisper to another person (thinking I wouldn't understand their "adult" conversation ) that he wondered how my pet would taste like as "pulutan" (dog meat ). I clutched my puppy closer to my chest, glared at the man who grinned at me in return, and ran off angrily. I remember every time my father would talk to one of them, I'd come over to his side (without my pup of course) and spend majority of my time glaring at the "big punks".



I was a kid. I hated those kinds of jokes. The experience affected me in such a way that I'd come up with comebacks every time someone "joked" about dog meat around me. I don't mind serious conversations regarding the matter, as well as comments such as "I really don't care about other dogs but mine" because those are their beliefs, but a personal joke such as "Masarap yang aso mo. Pulutan!" (translated: "Your dog looks delicious!" ) is totally inconsiderate of my own feelings regarding the issue because my animal friends are important to me.



My usual retorts would range from, "Gago ka. Maghanap ka ng ibang biro. (Moron. Find something else to joke about.)" to mean ones depending on the gender, "Sigurado ka ba hindi titi/pekpek mo ang nakikita mo? (Are you sure you're seeing pulutan and not your barking penis/vagina?)" and to downright mean ones such as "How about I'll shove a dog's ass in your mouth so you can get a free taste? I'm sure it'll be different from the human asses you've put in there before. (If the person is a virgin, I'd add "your imagination" after 'put' and remove "there". )" The intensity depends on how much I've been insulted, putting more weight on the intention of the perpetrator.



As you can see, the first one isn't all that bad, the second is merely a criticism of one's inability to grow out of their greedy fixations, and the third one is the actual insult. Fortunately, I haven't delivered the third one to anybody and hopefully never will.



Campaigning against dog meat is foreign to many people in our culture, because here, local dogs are eaten for meat. Dogs are a delicacy, not man's best friend. I've heard people discriminating against impoverished families snatching or stealing an innocent dog (even those who are meant as pets) for pulutan, but economically successful masterminds do it too. I think, culturally, the problem is not the act itself of eating dog meat (because people have been known to eat dogs throughout history...the moral here is whether this dog was previously a pet or was butchered for the wrong reasons), but the following: 1) the fact that it violates the Philippine Animal Welfare Act of 1998 and that what they're doing is against the law; 2) the selfish mindset of "acquiring" or "processing" the dog meat for whatever inhumane purpose.


When it comes to dog meat, I'm statistically a deviant from both the "pro" and the "con" but it's my perspective. I'm trying to consider why people do this for reasonable purposes and how many others abuse it.


Although I agree with some of my "pro" friends that animal rights activists (not animal welfare because they have a different purpose) should respect ethnic practices and that "humans need to fulfill their basic needs too".

As someone who believes in animal welfare, I am opposed to how the traders torture these animals.

Dog meat trading for commercial purposes is illegal in the first place (a violation of Republic Act No. 8485, Section 6). Some animal welfare critics, in a pathetic attempt to boggle minds would say, "So why do you eat chicken/pig/cattle?" Such idiots don't realize that the problem isn't my choice to be an omivore, but how many people in general are ignoring the fact that both morally and declared by the law, any person torturing an animal is considered to be an act of malice, and can be considered to be a criminal activity (assuming that they are educated enough to know the difference between "torture" and "kill" ).



SECTION 6: It shall be unlawful for any person to torture any animal, to neglect to provide adequate care, sustenance or shelter, or maltreat any animal or to subject any dog or horse to dogfights or horsefights, kill or cause or procure to be tortured or deprived of adequate care, sustenance or shelter, or maltreat or use the same in research or experiments not expressly authorized by the Committee on Animal Welfare.



The killing of any animal rather than cattle, pigs, goats, sheep, poultry, rabbits, carabaos, horses, deer and crocodiles is likewise hereby declared unlawful except in the following instances:



(1) When it is done as part of the religious rituals of an established religion or sect or a ritual required by tribal or ethnic custom of indigenous cultural communities; however, leaders shall keep records in cooperation with the Committee on Animal Welfare;



(2) When the pet animal is afflicted with an incurable communicable disease as determined and certified by a duly licensed veterinarian;



(3) When the killing is deemed necessary to put an end to the misery suffered by the animal as determined and certified by a duly veterinarian;



(4) When it is done to prevent an imminent danger to the life or limb of a human being; and



(5) When done for the purpose of animal population control;



(6) When the animal is killed after it has been used in authorized research or experiments; and



(7) Any other ground analogous to the foregoing as determined and certified by a licensed veterinarian.



In all the above mentioned cases, including those of cattle, pigs, goats, sheep, poultry, rabbits, carabaos, horses, deer and crocodiles the killing of the animals shall be done through humane procedures at all times.



For this purpose, humane procedures shall mean the use of the most scientific methods available as may be determined and approved by the Committee.



Only those procedures approved by the Committee shall be used in the killing of animals.




As someone with a background in cognitive psychology, there are other humane ways to prepare animals for the inevitable and torture is definitely an unnecessary method. There is also a difference between fulfilling our basic needs and killing for unnecessary purposes.



Honestly, I have a big problem with the deers and crocodiles being included in the "okay to kill but not torture list", because for one thing, few people (if any at all) breed these animals to prevent them from extinction. I don't get why killing crocodiles and deers are okay. (Ex. Calamian Deer)



Personally, I admire that most organizations here in the Philippines focus on wildlife conservation or for urban animals cats, birds and dogs. But I could find no organization for small animals such as hamsters and rabbits. They're animals too. They deserve to be saved from neglect and abuse. I know some people tend to neglect their small animal pets, and seeing as their life spans are short, I don't want these creatures spending their short lives suffering.



That's why someday, I'm planning to build a shelter for pocket pets. It doesn't matter if I'm the only member. I'll do it nevertheless I've been running my jewelry part-time business for more than 2 years on my own, creating orders alone with no assistants and only armed with the support of my Louie/family/friends --- but so far everything's doing good.



When I tell other people about this dream, I get laughed at --- but as long as they don't bully or offend me, I ignore their insensitivity. I would rather focus on starting this cause than focus on their problems with it. They don't know how serious I am.

I'm also more than happy to assist animal welfare groups.

There is an anti-dog meat petition being disseminated by both local & international animal welfare organizations here in my country. The link is provided above. Please support it. You guys know where I stand. I signed this petition despite the fact I am not totally against dog-eating because part of my beliefs include cultural integrity. However, there is a fine line between torturing an animal and taking away its life to fulfill our basic needs; there is a fine line between hunting and abusing.

As long as African tribes kill elephants as part of their culture, dog meat will most likely continue for the same reasons, but at least the tribes don't abuse this practice (and are even starting to limit themselves) unlike us "more educated" folks.

I signed this petition because I disapprove of the torture these dogs go through and the fact that what they go through is unlawful.



To understand Animal Welfare, click here.



No comments: