Monday, May 14, 2007

URGENT: KITTENS FOR FOSTER CARE

The first time I heard of the Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) was December of last year, when they started campaigning against a Dolphin Show beside SM Mall of Asia. I saw a flyer about their campaign in the community board in our village's Mini-stop branch. I took down their contact numbers and visited their website. I told my friends about the campaign who willfully spread the word (good job guys!) joined the picket rally and printed out flyers to be handed out to the present and would-be dolphin show customers.

My life took a sharp turn from there, and for the better I tell you.

Dolphins are among my favorite marine animals (besides their nemesis, the sharks). Being an avid fan of dolphins since elementary, I've kept myself updated with news on dolphin abuse and slaughter all over the world, special thanks to the ever-so-convenient internet.

Months later, after struggling to finally finish my thesis, I saw Sherwin's, blog while browsing through the web:

Me Find Home, a place where he writes about the dogs and cats up for adoption in the PAWS Rehabilitation Center.

The PAWS rehabilitation Center is in dire need of volunteers willing to foster care kittens round the clock in order to increase their probability of survival. It's a heart-breaking scene, that day I saw the thirty-plus homeless kittens thriving with so much life yet are deprived of the wonders of the world because they are confined inside the animal shelter. One of the residents also told me, that the newborn kitten I found loitering in the middle of the street susceptible to being road-killed, the one I took to PARC ignoring that my pastel pink top was already full of kitten poop, didn't survive and crossed the Rainbow Bridge a few days ago.

My heart sank when I heard the news. Before I arrived in PARC the third day I visited Mario, on my way to U.P. Diliman, I saw a kitten's remains in the middle of the road. It was horrible. Sometimes I wonder how some cat owners manage to go through the day living with the risk that their beloved cats may never come home again. I've never been a cat owner, mostly because my family dislikes cats (which I don't understand), so I probably wouldn't understand this liberal relationship.

The story of this group of kittens, urgently in need foster care, is another tragic story. Their lives hang by a thread, and it will only be a matter of time before the final judgment would take away the only hope given by the animal shelter residents.

They've got so much ahead of them, so many things to learn and do. Please don't let their little spark go out before they could truly embrace the world. They deserve to experience what true happiness is in the hands of a loving human they could call their own.

If you wish to volunteer and care for these kitties, please contact PARC at 475-1688 and look for Ms. Tin . :) You can also visit the PAWS website at http://www.paws.org.ph/ for more information. Your kindness will be greatly appreciated.



Susan is one of the recently adopted and lucky cats in the shelter. There are more cats and kittens in need of loving homes. Visit Me Find Home for more information.

No comments: